Sometimes called cinnamon buns, these sweet rolls of dough flavored with sugar and Cinnamon filling is a popular treat in Northern Europe and North America. They are usually topped with icing or glaze. Here is a simple recipe for cinnamon rolls.
2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup milk
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar or 1 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
- For the filling, in a small bowl combine softened butter, brown sugar and cinnamon to form a crumbly mixture. Sprinkle 1/2 of the mixture over the bottom of a 9x9 pan.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in softened butter (sometimes your hands are the best tools). Stir in milk to form a soft dough.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Spread the remaining filling on the rolled out dough.
- Roll up the rectangle, with a sharp knife slice into 18 small rolls (12 if you want them a little bigger).
- Bake for 20-25 min at 400°F.
- For glaze, combine powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Once rolls are finished, drizzle on glaze and serve warm.